Summer Youth Assembly at the UN: Moving Words to Actions!
The Youth Assembly is a three-day intensive program to be held on August 6 to 8, 2014 at the United Nations' Headquarters in New York City, USA. The event will feature guest speakers, seminars, and global youth exchange. Its objective is to provide young people with opportunities to get involved with the United Nations' goals at a time of imminent reform and change. It is indeed crucial for the sake of the world's future that young leaders around the world have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the UN as a vehicle of peace and democracy.
The goals of the Youth Assembly at the UN are to:
- Provide access to and information about the work, successes and current challenges of the United Nations;
- Promote increased youth participation in UN programs, agencies and NGO affiliates;
- Strengthen commitment to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals;
- Connect committed youth with opportunities, mentors, colleagues, and new associates;
- Recognize the artistic and diplomatic efforts of young people already involved in development and humanitarian initiatives;
- Promote renewal of a commitment to serve and respect this most important international institution.
Some background: At the Millennium General Assembly in 2000, all Heads of State created and unanimously agreed to work toward the accomplishment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). But it is the people of each country that must come together to take action to see that these goals are achieved and that we can finally live in a New Millennium that we are proud to bequeath to future generations of all nations. With great strides made over the past decade and more, we must now assure ourselves that youth have the skills and direction to take the challenge into the post-MDG world. After 2015: what? Youth in action, through the success of the Youth Assembly and its many partners throughout the world. Moving Words to Actions!